Thursday, May 24, 2007

Christian Aesthetics

I would never direct a scene that would embarrass the Blessed Mother," said Alejandro Monteverde, the award winning director of Bella.

Is there value in portraying vice as it is-- a destructive, disgusting, and degrading reality? Or does the Christian filmmaker become complicit in the evil act he depicts. even if he stands in judgement of that act? I can see it both ways, but I tend to side with Monteverde in favor of a sanitized aesthetic. No matter how hard a filmmaker tries to emphasizes the consequences of an act or the spiritual death of sin, a sensual aesthetic never reaches its audience on an intellectual level. Many Christians believe we can change the culture through this kind of "subversive" content, and that by refusing to glorify sin they have somehow stripped it of its luster and attraction. I disagree. I don't think the audience of The Sopranos or Kill Bill thinks much about the causal ties between endless cycles of death and the multifarious sins of the characters. It seems much more plausible to me that they are instead participating vicariously in the rush of adrenalin that accompanies such vile acts.

3 comments:

Kelly Scott Franklin said...

Martin: I've got a scathing review of Pirates III if you want it. Read it on my blog and let me know if it's OK to post on yours.

JP Catholic said...

Go ahead and post it!

Leticia said...

If the violence is shown along with the terror, pain, and agony it inflicts upon the victim, and the long range consequences, it could be productive.
Like the violence in the"The Passion of the Christ" with Christ which won our salvation. That film was the most violent film I have ever seen, and I wouldn't subject myself to "Apocalipto" because it seemed senseless violence.